Sunday, April 11, 2010

Shake Down Run

Went to the Mason City Swap meet yesterday. Really couldnt afford it, but I was able to scrape together some green to make it worth while. I found a nice clean refurbished chrome 12 volt generator for the 49 Pan Ive been peicing together for the last several years. I also scored a used (very used, but still serviceable) belt drive primary for the Pan. I was damn licky to find anything for the panhead there. All evo or newer shit. So I was shickled titless to find the primary set up with a tapered motor pulley. They went to the splined shaft in something like 1951 0r 1953. I also picked up a nice billet clutch pressure plate that will look sweet on the pan. I was thinking it would look nice with the outer spring plate I got from Noot Sr. back in the early 90's. But I got home, dug it out and its for a five fingered clutch hub. So thats OK, Ill just buy a 5 fingered hub the next time I buy new. Oh, and I found, get this, ONE..only One, Anderson foot peg. I looked through all them damn tubs of parts, sweatin' my ass off to find the other one to have a set, but I couldnt find it. So I bought the one, just out of spite! Im sure Ill find another some day, and if I find a set, Ill have a spare. Then. just when I thought it was a day to remember, I lost my Fricken check book. Bummer.
It was a nice day to ride today. A bit windy, but Ive enjoyed riding in alot worse. Keith wanted to do a shakedown run this weekend so we met in Ionia at noon and headed out from there to Alta Vista, then to Chucktown, then back to Ionia. 50-60 miles I 'spose. Glory ran great. We kept to the back roads as he had to vary his speed intermittantly during the topend break-in. Probably will do this for the 1st 200 miles or so. I rode behind and didnt see any smoke, couldnt smell and fuel. It did pop acouple times at the Deerfeild corner, but thats to be expected as we have it set rich during this first run to help keep things a bit cooler, and maybe help disipate some of the heat generated by new rings friction. It sure sounded happy! In a few years, we will do Kernal Beuford (my bike). My bike ran great, as usual. This is the first time I ever tried taking the camera and shooting pics on the run. I really had fun. I can see where its addictive. Brett Brandt and Nate Ullrick are my hereos when it comes to biker photagraphy. Brett took pics of me on my 57 Panhead back in 94 or so. He is a great guy. The next run, Irish Brian will have his 49 Pan and that will be sweet to get some runnin' pics of him on that. Classic. I look forward to sending pics into the magazines and see if I can get published. I avaerage 8,000 miles a year on the bike and I see and meet alot of folks in NE Iowa, SE Minn. and SW Wisc. who are unique bikers who all have interesting stories about why they ride, what they ride, and where they are going.








No comments:

Post a Comment