Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ruger Bisley 45 Colt

In 1991, three weeks before I returned from Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri, having been recalled to active duty by the US Army to serve in Operation Desert Storm, I recveived a telephone call from my Mom. She said she had perchased a little something for me as a welcome home gift.
Upon my return, she gave me a box of considrable heft. After tearing the paper away, I soon seen the black and yellow box, holding a Sturm Ruger, New Model Blackhawk Bisley, 45 long Colt.
The History of the Bisley model revolver dates back to 1894, and the world champion pistol competition in Bisley England. The original Bisley Revolver was produced by Colt with the shooting match in mind. If you look at the profile of the bisley, the first thing that catches your eye will the sharp angle at which the handle drops. This was to be an ergonomical feature that would lend to better target aquisition and comfort allowing less wrist fatigue. Also, when holding the revolver, you will immediatly notice the dropped angle of the hammer spur. It is considerably easier to reach with the thumb of the shooting hand than it is the Colt Single Action Army (SAA). This allows the shooter to actuate the hammer for the next shot with one hand while minimizing revolver movement from the target.
Before I was recalled to active duty, I was a wrangler and hunting guide in Wyoming. One afternon,a guest at the outfit I was employed at, asked if there was somewhere he could shoot his new pistol. I said sure, lets drive out to the dump and set up some cans. It seems he was from New York and the laws regarding purchasing handguns, were too strict to mess with, so he bought on in Wyoming on his vacation. He allowed me to shoot a few rounds with his .357 Ruger Bisley. Ive never been a very good hand with revolvers, but I was amazed at how well I could hit the mark with this revolver.
I never did tell Mom about that incident, and it was entirly coincidence that she picked the Bisley as my gift.
I still have the original walnut grips, but swapped them out for the faux ivory. As you may notice, the grips look scratched. When I bought the grips, there was an image of a naked chick wrapped in a confederate flag. I liked it, but I didnt feel comfortable displaying it out in the open. So I scraped it and need to clean it up better.
So, as the Conservative saying goes...."When they Pry It From My Cold Dead Fingers"....




No comments:

Post a Comment